The OpenEyes™ Foundation is a not-for-profit charity which has been set up to ensure that the future development of OpenEyes™ continues to meet the very highest clinical standards.
The aim of the OpenEyes™ Foundation is to oversee the rapid and continuous development and promote OpenEyes™ (the software and its solutions), whilst channelling any revenue and income back into the product.
The core activities of the OpenEyes™ Foundation include:
- Marshalling the OpenEyes™ community via charitable membership of the Foundation
- Arbitrating on Open Data standards to ensure OpenEyes™ maximizes it Open Source philosophy
- Being the key commissioner of OpenEyes™ development for the wider community
- Managing the OpenEyes™ public (GPL) and commercial licenses
- Managing and protecting OpenEyes™’ intellectual property
Encouraging involvement of non-commercial organisations OpenEyes™ has been led by Moorfields Eye Hospital but much of the code creation and requirements definition has been undertaken by a community of developers and clinicians, all of whom share the same vision of wanting to create an effective and widely used EMR system. Continuing this development under the guidance of a charitable, not for profit body is an essential part of our collaborative, public service ethos.